by Steven E. Streight
One way to keep informed about living in Peoria is to follow the Peoria Historical Society's Facebook page.
I learn about what Peorians and former residents of the Peoria Area are most interested in by looking at what PHS wall posts get the most traction with our fans. You might be inspired to become a contributor to Peoria Life online magazine by considering the most popular topics. During August and September, the most successful topics included Bartonville State Hospital, the Captain Jinks Show, Peoria Mineral Springs, Abraham Lincoln, and Hiram Walker.
Here are the most popular PHS posts on Facebook, posted during Oct. - Nov. 2012 by "users engaged" and "virality", according to Facebook Insights statistics.
Congratulations to Sandy's Hamburgers, Davis Brothers Pizza, The Splendor of Christmas Past, and the old Beverly Theatre for scoring so highly.
Engaged Users: number of unique visitors who clicked on post.
Virality: number of people who have created a story from your post as a percentage of the number of people who have seen it.
These posts included carefully researched historical data and photos that were very appealing.
(1) Who remembers Sandys hamburger restaurant?
Engaged Users = 283 / Virality = 32.27%
(2) America's Longest Running Santa Claus Parade
Engaged Users = 206 / Virality = 23.01%
(3) Sandy's photos courtesy of Unusual Kentucky blog
Engaged Users = 147 / Virality = 22.38%
(4) Davis Brothers Pizza, an East Peoria original.
Engaged Users = 186 / Virality = 21.77%
(5) 4, That's Right, 4 Historic Homes in The Splendor of Christmas Past candlelight tours this year.
Engaged Users = 162 / Virality = 20.62%
(6) A long time ago...Beverly Theatre
Engaged Users = 413 / Virality = 19.5%
(7) Let's go by way of Peoria
Engaged Users = 173 / Virality = 17.53%
(8) Christmas 1900
Engaged Users = 97 / Virality = 16.95%
(9) Harold Doc Yeager delivered milk for Stafford Dairy.
Engaged Users = 113 / Virality = 16.11%
(10) Winter scene Fort and Lake & Spanish Gun, Glen Oak Park, Peoria, IL (CCC & Co, Postmarked 1910)
Engaged Users =156 / Virality =15.96%
(11) One of the rock memorials to Dan Fogelberg at RiverFront Park
Engaged Users = 163 / Virality = 15.77%
(12) Thanksgiving Proclamation (New York, October 3, 1789)
Engaged Users = 67 / Virality =15.18%
(13) Original Julia Belle Swain
Engaged Users = 149 / Virality = 15.11%
(14) Carson Pirie Scott & Co.
Engaged Users = 190 / Virality = 14.41%
(15) Russ Crawford, PHS President
Engaged Users = 118 / Virality = 14.18%
(16) The Milk You'll Like...Schwabs Dairy
Engaged Users = 108 / Virality = 14.03%
(17) Lake and bridge to Rose Island
Engaged Users = 159 / Virality = 14.02%
(18) Who remembers these old cap guns?
Engaged Users = 67 / Virality = 13.88%
(19) Peoria Postcards 1909 - 1912
Engaged Users = 122 / Virality = 12.73%
(20) Steamer David Swain, Peoria, IL, F. M. Kirby & Co Postcard Postmarked 1909
Engaged Users = 108 / Virality = 12.29%
(21) Chillicothe art deco movie theatre
Engaged Users = 106 / Virality = 11.08%